Return to ads
All categories
Passport Card

Passport Card

Posted by
Posting ads for 49 years
FONT SIZE EMAILPRINTRSSSHARE If you're planning to travel to Mexico or Canada next week, be prepared to show the proper identification.

Yolanda Limon fills a form for her daughter to request a U.S.

passport at the post office Los...

Yolanda Limon fills a form for her daughter to request a U.S.

passport at the post office Los Angeles in this May 28, 2009, file photo.

Less than a month before the implementation of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, the U.S.

Customs and Border Protection says it is ready for the June 1 date when all Canadian and American citizens entering the United States by land will be required to have passports or other enhanced driver's licenses.

(Damian Dovarganes/AP Photo) Starting Monday, the last implementation stage of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative will go into effect, requiring travelers to present a passport or other valid travel document when entering the U.S.

by land or sea.

The requirements were put into place by the Bush administration in the aftermath of the Sept.

11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

While parallel provisions for air travel went into effect in January 2007, this stage of implementation for land and sea travel was delayed because the government feared Americans were not adequately prepared.

RelatedThe Ultimate 6 Question Travel QuizAutistic Boy Steals Car, Flies Cross-CountryMatchmaking Takes to the Skies Previously, Americans returning from Canada by land had to present a driver's license and birth certificate to prove identification and citizenship.

But as of June 1, Americans will need to present a valid travel document to enter the U.S.

from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean islands and Bermuda.

What's a valid travel document? A regular passport, a new passport card, a "trusted traveler" card or an "enhanced driver's license," which states the person's nationality.

Children under the age of 16 will not be required to have the travel documentation.

Currently, only a handful of states -- Vermont, New York, Washington and Michigan -- offer the new enhanced documentation.

Enhanced driver's licenses are wallet-size and are less expensive than the average $100 fee for a standard passport.

Officials hope the provisions, which invalidate birth certificates and drivers' licenses as forms of identification, will help set a more uniform standard for border travel, creating a safer and more efficient travel experience.

With summer ahead, the new regulations have potential to thwart many travel plans.
Reply to this ad
Recently viewed ads
Saved ads
Please log in to browse your saved adverts or sign up if you don't have an account yet.
Popular Stuff