Heath Ledger Accidental Overdose
Posting ads for 48 years
The cause of death was â€œacute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam and doxylamine,â€ spokeswoman Ellen Borakove said in a statement.
The drugs are the generic names for the painkiller OxyContin, the anti-anxiety drugs Valium and Xanax, and the sleep aids Restoril and Unisom. Hydrocodone is a widely used prescription painkiller.
Borakove wouldnâ€™t say what concentrations of each drug were found in Ledgerâ€™s blood, or whether one drug played a greater part than another in causing his death.
â€œWhat youâ€™re looking at here is the cumulative effects of these medications together,â€ she said.
The ruling comes two weeks after the 28-year-old Australian-born actor was found dead in the bed of his rented SoHo apartment. Police found bottles of six types of prescription drugs, including sleeping pills and anti-anxiety medication, in his bedroom and bathroom.
Ledger was discovered by his masseuse on Jan. 22 after she arrived for an appointment that afternoon. She entered his bedroom to set up for the massage and found him unresponsive, and proceeded to call Mary-Kate Olsen three times over the next 9 minutes before dialing 911. Ledger had been dead for some time, and police say no foul play occurred.
Ledger, nominated for an Oscar for his role in â€œBrokeback Mountain,â€ had returned to New York from London days before his death, where he had been filming a $30 million Terry Gilliam film. He said in a November interview that his most recent completed roles in the Batman movie â€œThe Dark Nightâ€ and Bob Dylan biopic â€œIâ€™m Not Thereâ€ had taken a toll, saying he couldnâ€™t sleep.Sounds like another case of doctors prescribing medication, without finding out what the patient is currently taking and the warning of the risks when combining said medications. Completely senseless